- drag race
: drag 10
* * *a race between two or more automobiles starting from a standstill, the winner being the car that can accelerate the fastest. Also called drag.[1940-45]
* * *drag race nounA motor car or motorcycle contest in acceleration, with standing start and over a quarter-mile course• • •Main Entry: ↑drag
* * *a race between long and very powerful cars over a short distanceDerived Word: drag racing
* * *drag race,a race between cars, usually hot rods, to determine which can accelerate faster over a given distance, usually a quarter of a mile in the sport of drag racing.
* * *n. a race between two or more cars over a short distance, usually a quarter of a mile, as a test of accelerationDerivatives:drag racer n. drag racing n.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ races [count]: a contest in which people race cars at very high speeds over a short distancedrag racer noun, pl ⋯ -ers [count]
He is one of the best drag racers in the country.drag racing noun [noncount]
He likes drag racing.
* * *a race between specially adapted cars over a short distanceDerived Word: ↑drag racing
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Drag-Race — Drag Race, Drag|race [ drægreɪs], das; [s], s […sɪs] [engl. drag race, aus: drag ↑ (Dragster) u. race = Rennen]: 1. Rennen für hochgezüchtete Spezialwagen (auch für spezielle Motorräder), die aus dem stehenden Start heraus mit höchster… … Universal-Lexikon
drag race — ☆ drag race n. a race between vehicles to test their acceleration from a complete stop, esp. between specially designed cars on a short, straight course (drag strip) drag race vi. drag raced, drag racing … English World dictionary
drag race — drag′ race n. aum spo a race between two or more automobiles starting from a standstill, the winner being the car that can accelerate the fastest • Etymology: 1940–45 drag′ rac er, n. drag′ rac ing, n … From formal English to slang
drag race — ► NOUN ▪ a short race between two cars as a test of acceleration. DERIVATIVES drag racer noun drag racing noun … English terms dictionary
drag race — n a car race over a very short distance >drag racing n [U] … Dictionary of contemporary English
drag race — drag ,race noun count a race between long and very powerful cars over a short distance ╾ drag ,racing noun uncount … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
drag race — UK / US noun [countable] Word forms drag race : singular drag race plural drag races a race between long and very powerful cars over a short distance Derived word: drag racing noun uncountable … English dictionary
drag race — noun A race in a car or on a motorcycle to determine the fastest vehicle. Did you watch the drag race on Sunday? … Wiktionary
drag race — two cars racing from a stop light Did you see the drag race? Ya. The Corvette won … English idioms
drag race — drag racer. drag racing. a race between two or more automobiles starting from a standstill, the winner being the car that can accelerate the fastest. Also called drag. [1940 45] * * * … Universalium